Members of the BSU Club pose during one of their club meetings.

Photo courtesy: Jenna Jemison

RCHS Clubs

May 16, 2022

Another integral component of Rancho’s student culture are student clubs. While larger clubs that have branches in other parts of the state or even the country (e.g. Key Club and CSF) were able to weather the pandemic with relative ease, it’s the smaller school-specific clubs that struggled to continue their operations.

While some clubs were able to switch to an online format easily, many decided to temporarily cease, waiting to restart once lockdown ended.

Even before all these events, students, staff, and even graduates have felt the impact of the Generational Gap.

I feel like a freshman in the sense that I haven’t felt fully incorporated and given the same energy that a freshman would go through their first year here. Although, in other ways, I feel more introduced to the campus and have a greater understanding of it than I think a freshman would.

— Joshua Potter

“I feel like a freshman in the sense that I haven’t felt fully incorporated and given the same energy that a freshman would go through their first year here,” said sophomore Joshua Potter. “Although, in other ways, I feel more introduced to the campus and have a greater understanding of it than I think a freshman would.”

It isn’t just current students who are feeling the Rancho Generational Gap either. Rancho grads, both reminiscing and looking in, also feel the Generational Gap.

“Due to covid and the changing expectations of the younger generations, it does feel like campus has been losing its cultural spark. It often becomes a trend to not care for school spirit and the like and it’s a little discouraging. The spark dying was felt in my year and I can imagine that it’s only going to increase from there. It’s honestly a shame. The energy and school spirit that Rancho exhibits is truly one of a kind and an ethereal way to be connected with everyone in your year,” said Rancho graduate Clarissa Do.

One of the main goals for RCHS’s campus culture is to get back to “The Rancho Way.”

“The Rancho Way” is the driving ideal that teachers and upperclassmen have taught incoming students how to behave.

“We celebrate success, both academic and personal, and honor those that are putting the work in. We stand up for each other and with each other when people are going through a hard time,” said Mrs. Heather Landau. “Our actions are dictated by our integrity, and our desire to do the right thing even when it is hard. We proudly bleed purple and represent our school positively at every turn.”

Like many other things on campus, “The Rancho Way” has been affected by the Generational Gap. From trivial things like walking up the stairs properly, to the “devious lick” trend, it’s been absent from Rancho’s population.

Now that students have returned to in-person learning, it is time to close the gap and revitalize Rancho’s culture because it is “The Rancho Way.”