Christina Schneider

Seniors enthusiastically watch the second Homecoming Rally on Thursday, Oct. 7

Rallies and the Spirit Clap

May 16, 2022

Rallies and the Spirit Clap

One of the biggest events for Rancho culture is the Homecoming Rally, which is the first time incoming freshmen get to see Rancho culture in action, experience the hype and energy, and learn the spirit clap.

“The spirit clap was a key feature to the rallies,” said Mr. Aaron Bishop. “Everyone looked forward to it.” According to Bishop, the spirit clap is unique to Rancho, having existed since the school opened in 1992. No Rancho rally is complete without the spirit clap. Alongside performances from dance and cheer, it’s an unmistakable staple of a Rancho rally.

At every Homecoming Rally, Bishop teaches the incoming freshman the spirit clap, and then hosts a class competition for the best spirit clap. This year, it won’t be just the freshmen learning the spirit clap for the first time though. It will be the freshman and the sophomores.

Now, the seniors are the only ones who have a solid idea of Rancho spirit, experiencing it in their freshman and sophomore years. The juniors didn’t get the full experience of the Rancho spirit, missing out on the second-semester rallies, and most importantly, the Renaissance Rally.

Rallies have always been the staple events of the year as they involve the entire school. For those who’ve never experienced a rally, they’re extravagant, high-energy events in the gym. There’s always a unique theme to each rally and tons of different student organizations are involved, from ASB and SA, to the TV Bulletin and even Mr. Lindensmith’s woodshop classes. ASB meticulously decorates the gym with elaborate, theme-driven posters that are larger-than-life, and there’s even been principals on flying motorcycles before. Yes, you read that correctly. A principal on a flying motorcycle. Rallies are such a big deal on campus that the entire schedule for the day is interrupted just to accommodate them.

The last rally of the year, the Renaissance Rally, is planned by Student Achievement.

My first ever Ren Rally was unlike anything I had ever expected to see from a high school. Our principal, … was hooked up to a harness that shot him into the sky like an astronaut…

— Mikayla Orozco

“The Renaissance Rally is an event to recognize all walks of campus,” said senior and Student Achievement Director of Public Affairs Matthew DeGuzman. “We make sure to recognize the achievements of all students at Rancho, whether it is academic, physical, or creative endeavors, we pour lots of energy and passion into giving back to the school and recognizing the campus’ accomplishments.”

For the Renaissance Rally, each year has a variety of performances, from dance, to cheer, to individual student and teacher performances. According to DeGuzman, anyone is able to audition to perform.

“My first ever Ren Rally was unlike anything I had ever expected to see from a high school,” said senior Mikayla Orozco. “Our principal, Cary Wilborn at the time, was hooked up to a harness that shot him into the sky like an astronaut and it was in that moment that I knew this school was constantly going to amaze me with the great lengths they’ll go for their students.”