RCHS receives 6 year WASC accreditation

On October 17-20, Rancho Cucamonga High School participated in the WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accreditation process. WASC is an organization used for the accreditation of schools around California and Hawaii. 

During the visit, which was conducted virtually via teleconferencing, RCHS administrators and WASC committee members facilitated classroom visits via iPad. This was so the visiting committee could see Rancho in action. 

Their purpose is to verify that schools are properly teaching the curriculum so that students are seen as legitimate high school graduates. 

To prepare for such a visit, students and staff at Rancho spent time self-reflecting as a school and analyzing what was being done correctly and what wasn’t; things such as school life on campus and how student learning is being supported. This includes what ideas are being taught and how the curriculum contributes to how students learn.

RCHS teacher Ms. Rebecca Guerrero was the WASC self-study coordinator for this visit. Though Rancho won’t receive an official report until January, according to Guerrero, the school did well. Guerro said, “overall, the visiting team was very impressed with our students and faculty.”

WASC is one of the six accreditation companies in the United States. School accreditation is used to make sure that a school is maintaining optimal educational standards. This is of importance because it sets an instructional bar to make sure we, as students, are getting the amount of education necessary to further succeed.