Peer Counselors helps spread awareness during Suicide Prevention Month

Photo courtesy: Ms. Cathie Cronin

RCHS Peer Counselors distribute suicide awareness bracelets during lunch.

Every year in September, the world observes Suicide Prevention Month. This 2021-2022 school year, RCHS observed Suicide Prevention Week from September 6 to September 10.

Suicide Prevention Month is important because it helps raise awareness on a topic that is stigmatized. “Suicide prevention month is important because it allows us to discuss suicide and bring awareness to a difficult topic. Kids need to know that they are not alone in their feelings and that there are a number of resources that are available to them in a time of crisis,” said Peer Counselor Advisor, Ms. Catherine Cronin.

Suicide Prevention Month is important to let people know they are not alone. “Suicide prevention month is important because suicide is preventable. Knowing the signs can potentially save a life and you’ll be aware of what resources to use before it’s too late,” said senior peer counselor Remy Dorfman.

During the week of September 6, RCHS peer counselors passed out suicide prevention bracelets, ribbons, and informative pamphlets and cards available for RCHS students to pick up at both lunches. The bracelets came in purple and turquoise, which are the colors for suicide awareness, and in rainbow hues to honor LGBTQ+ students who face bullying.

“The ribbons and bracelets help to bring awareness about suicide. The bracelets have the numbers to the Lifeline and the Trevor Project, both organizations that provide help and support to folks in crisis,” said Cronin.

The peer counselors also made purple and turquoise ribbons for students to pin on their clothes or backpacks to show their support for suicide awareness.

“It’s to show that you care about it, for me it symbolizes that I’m open to the topic and you can always talk to me about it,” said senior peer counselor Amelia Mora.

There are many resources students can use if they are struggling with feeling overwhelmed or suicidal.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline-1 800 237-8255 or text the Crisis Text Line HELLO to 741741
The Trevor Project (LGBTQ+) -1 866 488 7386
SAMHSA Treatment Referral Hotline for Substance Abuse-1-800 662-4357
RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline-1 800 331-9474

Peer Counselors are available to talk during 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th periods in the peer counseling room next to E203.