RCHS Implements New Bell Schedule

Rancho Cucamonga High School implemented a new bell schedule for the 2021-2022 school year. Instead of starting at 7:30 and ending at 2:20, school now begins at 8:30 and ends at 3:20. This change is because of California Bill 328, which was passed in 2019. 

The bill requires that by 2022, high schools start no earlier than 8:30 a.m. in an effort to achieve more student alertness and awakeness throughout classes. 

RCHS students have strong opinions about the new bell schedule. 

Senior Hannah Marshall said, “Getting out later puts everyone’s schedule behind, and for students who have jobs, it gives them no time to do their homework after school before their shift begins.” 

Most of Marshall’s shifts begin at 4:00 p.m., giving her limited time to complete school work and get ready for her job. Along with many other students, Marshall said she is trying to find a happy medium where she and other fellow students can prioritize school, work, and their jobs.

In addition to students’ jobs, sports and extracurricular activities are also affected by the new schedule. 

Senior Julie Riad says, “I’m in swim. Although our season hasn’t started yet, there is a possibility that our schedule will get pushed later. We used to go from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m., but with the new schedule, we may have to go even later than that.” 

Along with swimming, many other sports and activities are trying to find the balance that gives students enough time to be ready for competitions and events, but also not keeping them too late at school.

Students trying to get accustomed to the change say it was easier to have time for themselves before and now feel like the day is already over once returning home. 

Riad said, “Before, I used to be able finish my homework without it being too late into the day, but now with the new schedule, by the time I finish my homework, I’m exhausted and tired and instead I sleep.” 

While some students prefer the older, earlier start times, other students are enjoying the new schedule. 

Freshman Sophia Barak likes the new schedule. She said, “it has let me sleep in for a longer time leading me to be more focused and attentive in all of my classes.”

Although students have vastly different opinions, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that high schools start at 8:30 a.m. or later.

Following the new bell schedule, students walk to their first period