Taylor Swift Rereleases “Love Story” But This Time On Her Own Terms

Noemi Orozco

Taylor Swift begins to re-release her first Grammy Award-Winning album by releasing “Love Story (Taylor’s Version)”.

Noemi Orozco, Editor

Once again, Taylor Swift fans are rejoicing with joy for the third time this school year as the Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter announced she is re-releasing her 2008 smash hit “Love Story,” as well as re-releasing the album that the pop song is included on Fearless. With Swift’s past month’s music surprises, such as the release of her two new albums Folklore and Evermore, it’s safe to say that the pop and country mega-star will continue to hold a great impact on this generation’s music for the next upcoming years- even with her new and old albums.

Swift shared the exciting news to her longtime supporters, or “Swifties,” through her many social media accounts at the beginning of February, with Swift captioning the post, “I’m thrilled to tell you that my new version of Fearless (Taylor’s Version) is done and will be with you soon.”

That’s not even the best part. Swift said that her “new” version of the Grammy Award-winning album will include six never before released songs as well as hinting at the release date of the entire album by hiding uppercase letters spelling out “APRIL NINTH” throughout the thrilling post.

Although it was a surprise for many, Swift’s decision to re-record her past six albums didn’t come as a shock for most dedicated fans. The singer has been very outspoken about why she is choosing to remake most of her already released music due to her separation from her old record label Big Machine Records.

Swift also included her reasoning in her new post. She said, “artists should own their own work for so many reasons, but the most screamingly obvious one is that the artist is the only one who really *knows* that body of work.”

As Swift’s fans await the release, the Fearless singer grants her fellow Swifties to wait with one of her new re-recorded songs by releasing her first single “Love Story (Taylor’s Version)” on the night of her surprise announcement.

RCHS senior Lauren Munar reshared this announcement throughout her social media accounts, trying to pass the time till Swift’s new version of her romantic radio-friendly single is released. Munar is a part of the RCHS girl’s soccer team, Link Crew, and CSF at Rancho, but prefers to be recognized as one of Swift’s biggest fans since 2009.

For Munar, the female songwriter has held a major impact on her growing up, supporting this statement by sharing that she owns “arguably a concerning amount of her merch” and that most people who follow her on Instagram and Twitter know her as being a fangirl of Swift.

When hearing the news about Swift’s upcoming releases, Munar described herself as “beyond excited” and said, “‘Love Story’ will always be special to me because it’s the very first song I heard from her, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t excited for the album. I’m super excited for ‘The Way I Loved You’ though, that has the most scream-worthy lyrics which I’m definitely here for.”

With the release of “Love Story (Taylor’s Version)” now out alongside the new lyric music video tributing to her longtime supporters, Swift’s ability to bring new life to a decade-old song is astonishing and nonetheless, impressive. The song includes just as much teenage storytelling angst as when she first sang it at 18 years old; as well as notable minor vocal changes and a folkier sound.

Munar adds that after listening to the re-recording, she became even more excited for Swift’s upcoming releases and shared the most memorable part of “Love Story (Taylor’s Version)”.

“I think we can all agree the most iconic part of the song is when the beat drops after the lyric ‘He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said..’ it just gets me everytime!,” Munar said.

Munar isn’t the only student at Rancho geeking about Swift’s new re-recording as RCHS junior Ariana Rodriguez also gives her input about the song. Rodriguez said, “I thought the re-recording of ‘Love Story’ was great, the song reminds me so much of my childhood so when I heard this remake I was really touched and felt really emotional.”

Rodriguez has also been a fan of Swift since she was a kid but has found a “newfound love for her music” over quarantine. “Off of Fearless, my favorite songs would be ‘Love Story’ and ‘Fifteen’”, said Rodriguez.

Swift’s capability to capture the hearts of old and young with her numerous albums from decade to decade is the reason why she might be deemed one of the most influential artists in the 21st century. Although it isn’t surprising that the female singer, songwriter hasn’t stopped, Swift’s ability to make new sounds from her new and old music has been exciting to hear, whether you call yourself a Swiftie or not.

Listen to “Love Story (Taylor’s Version)” here: Taylor Swift- Love Story (Taylor’s Version)