The Storming of the Capitol

Ashlei Gruender, Staff Reporter

On January 6th, 2021, the Capitol was raided and attacked by a mob of Trump supporters, right-wing extremists, and self-identified supporters of the QANON conspiracy protesting the 2020 election results. Since the riot at the Capitol, many American politicians have spoken about the attack on the United States government.

Rioters who broke into the Capital raided and trashed some politicians’ offices, and Congress, including former Vice President Mike Pence, was evacuated.

After the insurrection, then, President Donald Trump released a video statement that mentioned disproven election fraud. In the statement, he said to the protestors, “I know your pain, I know your hurt… But you have to go home now, we have to have peace, we have to have law and order.” In the same video, Mr. Trump also told the protestors, “So, go home. We love you, you’re very special.”

In a speech on January 6, then, President-Elect Joseph Biden condemned the actions on the nation’s Capitol and promoted unity of the American people. “In his speech, Biden said, “They storm the Capitol, to smash windows, to occupy offices, the floor of the United States Senate, rummaging through desks on the Capitol, on the House of Representatives, threatening the safety of duly-elected officials. It’s not protest. It’s insurrection. The world’s watching. Like so many other Americans, I am genuinely shocked and saddened that our nation, so long, the beacon of light and hope for democracy has come to such a dark moment.”

A week later, on Wednesday, January 13, Mr. Trump released a video condemning the attack on January 6. In the video, he said, “I want to be very clear: I unequivocally condemn the violence that we saw last week. Violence and vandalism have absolutely no place in our country.” In the video, Mr. Trump also said, ““If you do any of these things you are not supporting our movement. You are attacking it and you are attacking our country.”

After the attack, Rancho Cucamonga High School students shared their thoughts on the events.

Emily Glass, an RCHS senior said the event was“embarrassing for us as a nation.” Glass also said the events were “extremely disrespectful and uncalled for.”

Abby Romero, an RCHS sophomore, shared her input on the topic as well. Romero said, “it’s crazy but not unexpected that those people were able to just storm about and get no police response the way that the people who protested for BLM did.”

RCHS freshman, Shareen Siddiqui, said, “it was kind of brushed off, but if it were any other race it would be a much bigger deal and a lot of people would’ve died.”

Currently, Federal prosecutors are investigating this incident. Some of the charges people now face for participating in the insurrection include violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.