Election Day 2020

Ashlei Gruender, Staff Reporter

Election day 2020 was a very stressful one. Probably one of the most stressful elections we’ve had in a very long time. Trump or Biden? Right or Left? Red or Blue?

This election was between President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden.

November 3, 2020, was the big day of the Presidential Election. Of course, there were fits thrown and rumors of false victory being spread, but what is a Presidential Election without those? President Trump suggested there was voter fraud happening on the Democratic side; but, was there? Recounts happened in Wisconsin, Georgia, and Pennsylvania, and despite the recounts, all of those states certified President-Elect Joe Biden as the winner.

Accusations of dead people voting came about when supposedly somebody’s deceased son voted at a poll in Pennsylvania. These accusations sprang up quickly, and they were mainly unfounded. To read more about the baseless claims, BBC News completed some research about this allegation.

Despite President Trump’s numerous claims of voter fraud, President Trump’s legal team has been unable to produce any credible evidence of mass voter fraud in court.

On Election Day, President Trump made broad accusations of voter fraud, claiming on his Twitter account, “We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the polls are closed!”

In an attempt to slow the spread of misinformation, Twitter swiftly responded with a new safety badge to mark tweets with unsubstantiated claims. The badge states, “This claim about election fraud is disputed.”

Despite multiple failed attempts to repeal certified votes, the Trump administration and campaign were unable to produce any evidence and overturn the voice of the American people. On Monday, December 14, the Electors of the Electoral College gathered to cast their votes. The official count was 306 to 232 in favor of President-Elect Joe Biden with President-Elect, with California’s 55 electoral votes coming in shortly before 2 p.m. PST to solidify Biden’s count above the 270 threshold.

The last step in the election process will occur on Wednesday, January 6, when Vice President Mike Pence will lead a joint session in congress where congressional members will count the Electoral College votes.

The 59th Presidential Inauguration will take place on January 20, 2021 in Washington, D.C.

The views expressed in this article are those of the student journalist who wrote this article and are not a reflection of the views, values, beliefs, or opinions of Rancho Cucamonga High School, its staff, or its students.