Sophomores Take the PSAT During Distance Learning

Picture credit: Nguyen Dang Hoang Nhu for Unsplash

Sarah Siddiqui, Staff Reporter

Every year at Rancho Cucamonga High School, sophomores have the opportunity to take the PSAT. Students would typically take this test in person as preparation for the SAT; however, this situation is not possible due to distance learning. COVID-19 has made it so students have to do their schooling online through school-issued chromebooks, personal laptops or home computers. 

Before test day, students were sent emails with information and instructions about the PSAT. The test was administered online on Monday, January 25, at 9 am, and students had the entire day to finish the exam. 

One testing day, some students experienced tech issues at the beginning of the test.

“The website we were using to take the PSAT crashed when the test began,” sophomore Shaniya Abraham. “We had to wait for about 10 minutes before everything was fixed and ready to go.”

Taking a big exam can be scary for students, especially if most students have never taken the PSAT before. Many students had similar experiences. 

Sophomore Cenai Mathias took the test on January 25. Mathias said, “My testing experience was a combination of stressful and confusing. This was my first time taking the PSAT, and it was hard trying to pace myself without running out of time.” 

Abraham also said, “I was a little stressed at first because I’ve never done a PSAT before. However, as I went through the test questions, I realized that they weren’t as challenging as I thought they would be. I also found the English section of the test much easier than the Math section.”

Despite the odd circumstances and difficulties associated with this year’s PSAT, with RCHS staff’s support, this year’s sophomores were able to get a sense of what the SAT will look like if they decide to take it in upcoming years.